Friday, November 6, 2009

Nick's last pitch

The spring not only brought the end of my schooling, but it also brought the end of Nick's baseball career. He played his first two years at Salt Lake Community College and his last two years at Dixie State College. This was a blessing because he was able to get school completely paid for (and then some) with his baseball scholarships. We both made it through our bachelor's degrees without taking out one loan!!!

The only side-arm pitcher on the team . . . and a great one at that!
It was fun watching him play as he changed roles from year to year. At SLCC, he went from pitching to playing anywhere in the infield (even 1st base), and then at Dixie he excelled in his role as the closer. I can't say I loved him being the closer because he always came in to pitch in really close games or intense situations, but somehow he always handled the pressure just fine. I think those times were harder on me than they were on him! I guess the 5'11" side-arm pitcher was a little intimidating to the opposition! (Nick was listed as being 5'11" on the Dixie roster . . . and for those of you know Nick, he's not quite that tall!)

Senior night (or day). That's us, Nick's parents, and his coaches.

It was so much fun to watch his games, and I must say I even grew to like baseball! It still doesn't quite match up to soccer, but I definitely developed an appreciation for the game! And one great thing about baseball . . . the uniforms are great!!! (Gotta' love those tight pants!)

Can you believe I let him put his sweaty hat on me?!
Congrats on a great career, sweetie. We love you!!!
A special thanks to his family and all those who supported him throughout his whole baseball career.
I'm sure he couldn't have made it this far without all the support.
Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mindy!!! Such a cute blog!!! I'm so glad you have joined the blogging world! It's a great way to keep in touch!!! Your little family is so adorable and I can't believe how big Tabria is getting!!! And great job for Nick!!!! Sounds like he had a wonderful time playing baseball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mindy, Austin and I are so excited to see what you guys are up too. Looks like things have been good! Congrats on you both graduating and on your little one. She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy! It has been forever. You have the cutest little girl ever! So fun! WOuld you mind if we added you to our blog list?

    Hope life is treating you well!

    Heidi (Blatter) Shurtliff (just in case)

    ReplyDelete